So this month Organizing Junkie's Org Round Up is for the "Command Central" - or "Happy Place" for the OCD afflicted.

A few weeks back I was in full panic mode thinking about back to school. My 3 older kids went back in early August and with that comes the barage of paperwork, artwork, calendars, flyers, fundraisers, and other random pieces of paper that make my eye twitch when they touch my counter. Add to that 4 backpacks (Lil Miss needed one too of course), 8 shoes & 4 jackets, 8 gloves & 4 hats. Add all that together and you have 1 stressed out mama!

So I decided to fix the problem before it started.


This is my happy place :) LOL

  • I went to Kmart and got a whiteboard that had a calendar and I use this for the kids' events since I have them in 3 different schools and they have 3 different schedules.
  • Each kid has a different color for their schedule. That way we all know who has a minimum day/birthday party/back to school night/whatever and it's right there for all of us to see.
  • Next I got 3 clear wall mount file holders at Office Depot. There is one for Tween, Flower Child, & me. Lil Miss doesn't have any papers yet and The Boy's papers all go to his mother's house. The kids come home and put all of their paperwork in MY BIN and I go through it as needed. If I need to give something back I put it in THEIR BIN and then they know it's meant to go back in their backpacks
  • Then we have the heavy duty double metal hooks from ACE for the backpacks & jackets. Since The Boy is only here one school night a week, he and Lil Miss share a hook ... mostly because 4 would have looked wrong lol.
  • Below that is a table with a basket for all their sunglasses, hats, and gloves.
  • Under that will go their shoes so they don't go trecking mud and whatnot through my house
So that, my organizing freak friends, is my solution to the back to school MAAAADNESS. They have been in school for 3 weeks and it is working out SPLENDIDLY! There are NO, count em, NO school papers on my counters and I haven't forgotten a kid at school yet! So we're doin pretty good!

So if you're in desperate need of a "Happy Place" check out Organizing Junkie's Round Up and see what every one has come up with! She's got an awesome giveaway going on for this post and it's got my mind all a tingle! lol

11 Comments:

  1. Rebecca said...
    LOVE it!!! Puts my 'hook in closet' to shame. Glad it's working out so well for you and the kids are making use of it. :D
    Rebecca said...
    This comment has been removed by the author.
    Anonymous said...
    i absolutely completely love love LOVE it!!!!!
    Nat said...
    oooh love it.I like the clear wall mount folders,will have to look out for them.
    working mama trying to make it all work said...
    Looks awesome! Fellow Org junkie follwer~Hope
    Musings of a Housewife said...
    Brilliant! I'm SO doing this.
    Tracey said...
    Love how that looks!! So neat and organized!
    Mimi from Peachy Papaya said...
    I love this idea and now that I have 2 that is in school I might have to steal your idea..... :)
    Alyssa said...
    Totally jealous of this space. Awesomesauce!
    Phoebe @ GettingFreedom said...
    "Happy Place for those OCD Afflicted"--Crack me up!!
    Bonnie said...
    I totally get it !! A very happy place indeed !!! I love your command central. The plastic trays are a great idea. I need to do something like that too !! I think I will !!

    My contribution is here ... http://bonnie-simple-beauty.blogspot.com/2009/05/home-management.html

Post a Comment




Blogger Template by Blogcrowds


Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.