*****CAUTION!***** THE SAP METER IS OFF THE CHARTS!!*****Proceed with extreme caution if you aren't into that kinda thing ;-)
Ya know, I have started this entry about 13 times and I still just don't know exactly what I want to say.
I keep hearing people say how Valentine's Day is a "Halmark Holiday" and that it's all just a bunch of crap. Part of me is curious as to how and who exactly DID start the tradition. The other part of me is just sad for the amount of venom this holiday can bring out in people!
I've never HATED the day, well unless you include the time in 5th grade that I gave Joel Laterri a very SPECIAL Valentine and he did NOT recipricate the feelings. Since then I have gone from frustrated tween, to celebrated girlfriend, to hopeful but disapointed wife, to what I am now :-D
I always looked at Valentines Day as a day to take time out and celebrate your love. In my first marriage that was more so because it took a lot of prodding to get him to do that kind of stuff so I really looked forward to it, even if he didn't do a lot, it was still a lot for him.
But this time around, things are different. We don't JUST celebrate our love on Valentines Day. We make a point of appreciating each other all the time, celebrating the day we got married every month, that kinda thing. But Valentine's Day is a SUPER special day to have fun with and get excited about!
Today after my hubby left he sent me a text message with a clue ... he said you're first clue is "tickety tack ... hehehehe" so I flew to the computer! Found a sweet letter telling me sweet stuff, then explaining how I will have 4 gifts but that I have to work for them ;-)
Since then I have found one present (3 cute little glass containers to collect sand from our favorite beaches) and another letter! Now I have to wait for another clue to lead me to the next :-D This is so much fun!
I got him a $100 gift cert to a spa so he can get a massage or facial or whatever he wants. Then the other day I started making a card but it morphed into a mini album of sorts ... that I still need to finish! It's so freakin cute though, I am so proud of it, and I know he will LOVE it! I'll probably share that on Sunday Scrappin!
To me, today isn't about Halmark, or Ghirardelli, it's about your love. It doesn't have to be about presents or clues, it's about loving and appreciating your husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend for what they do for your life. It's about remembering and celebrating those things in them that you first fell in love with and keeps you together still. They may not be the most romantic person ever, but maybe that's because they work so hard every other day to take care of their family. Celebrate that strength in them. Celebrate whatever it is that makes you smile when you think about it.
Not all men are into Valentine's Day and celebrating it, but that doesn't mean you can't do it for them. Even if it's just a home made dinner, or some time alone with you. Tell them what it is about them that you love and makes you happy. Sometimes men need to be led to the water ;-) But who knows, maybe next year they will take the lead!
I hope everyone has a wonderful day and celebrates someone they love :-D Happy Valentine's Day!!!!
Labels: My Holidays, My Love
My DH is great about surprising me with small but meaningful gifts throughout the year. To us Valentine's day usually means saying "Happy Valentine's Day Sweetie" and sharing a meal we cooked together. In the grand scheme of our marriage, I could take or leave Feb 14th.
However we do more for our kids for V-day. We buy them small gifts or make special treats because Holidays are fun for kids and its nice to have something fun to celebrate in February.